Recently being on BBC3 counties radio, discussing the Great British Bake Off with someone called Steve Miller, a self-proclaimed weight loss Guru who only has training in hypnotherapy, his theory was first to cancel the show, then retracted to say why don’t we put a message on the screen saying “if you’re fat, think before you slice”.
His argument was show when watched gives you this feeling of wanting to go and eat cake, a load of rubbish if you ask me.
What it has done though, is inspired me to make a vegan friendly, healthy, all natural and tasty raspberry cheesecake. Check this out.
Here’s the recipe
For the base
180 g of medjool dates
40 g of unsalted raw pistachios
115 g of raw and unsalted almonds
For the filling
310g of raw Cashew nuts (soaked overnight)
400 g tin of coconut milk (refrigerated)
60 ml of agave syrup
60ml of coconut oil
1tsp of Vanilla extract
185 g of raspberries
2tbsp of pistachios chopped (To serve)
- Blend all of the base ingredients together in a food processor until combined. Tip the mixture into a 20 cm / 8 inch loose bottomed cake tin and press down firmly with the back of a wooden spoon. Place the tin in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Zest the lemon and keep to one side, the squeeze the juice into a food processor or blender. Scoop out the solid coconut cream that has risen to the top of the tin of coconut milk (this should be around 150g) and add to the blender with a couple of tablespoons of the milk. Drain the cashews and add with the remaining filling ingredients including half of the lemon zest, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over the cheesecake mixture and smooth down evenly. Shake the tin to smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachios and the remaining lemon zest over the cheesecake and freeze for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Take the cheesecake out of the freezer 30 mins before serving to thaw, or transfer to the fridge for roughly 1hr 30mins.